Tooth Atlas and Mac OS X 10.7 Lion / Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
Due to new security settings on Mac OSX 10.7 Lion and Mac OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion, users will have to take a few steps in order to use their Tooth Atlas software.
1. By default Mountain Lion disables the ability to install some 3rd party applications. When trying to install the Tooth Atlas you may see an error message like this:
Please open the Tooth Atlas disc image, Control-click the Tooth Atlas Installer.pkg, and click "Open". This will prompt you to allow an exception and you will be able to install the Tooth Atlas software.
2. Safari on Mountain Lion does not allow Java to be run locally so you will have to download and use the Firefox web browser.
Please go to http://www.mozilla.org/ and download the Firefox application. Install Firefox by opening the downloaded disk image and dragging the Firefox application to your Applications folder.
3. Right click your Tooth Atlas shortcut on your desktop and press Command + R. This will show you the Tooth Atlas resource tooth_splash.htm, with this file selected press Command + I, which will display the file's information. Press the Open With arrow to reveal the options and change the application to Firefox.
Now when you run the Tooth Atlas it will open with Firefox and will work as intended.
4. By default Java is not installed on Mountain Lion. When running the Tooth Atlas for the first time, you may see a message saying "Missing Plug-In" and an arrow.
Please press the arrow which will prompt the user to install the Java plugin. Or, if clicking the arrow does nothing manually go to www.java.com and download the Java plugin. Please Click Install and OK on any dialog boxes.
You will then need to follow the instructions found at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559 to revert the Java 7 installation to Java 6.
Then restart your Firefox web browser and open the Tooth Atlas.
Please click Allow / Install / Run, and ensure "Always Allow" is checked on any pop up messages that you see when running the Tooth Atlas.
5. Now you've updated your security and browser settings and will be able to use the Tooth Atlas software. Thank you for your time.